You have a bunch of image files in your Lightroom catalog that are on one hard disk and want to move them to another.
1. Look in the Library left panel > Folders. Note that each hard disk that Lightroom is aware of is listed there. Is the disk that you want to move files to listed?
If so, drag and drop within Lightroom to move/copy files from one disk to another. (And as necessary then delete any duplicate versions from older drives.)
2. Click the plus + symbol on the Folders panel header.
3. Use the "Add Folder" command to create a new folder on the destination hard disk (the one you want to move files to). This will add that disk and folder to the catalog.
4. Drag and drop as described above to move files to/from disks/folders from within Lightroom.
No need to do any work outside Lightroom for this.
Notes about this process:
1. If you’ve already imported files into Lightroom, it’s always best to move, copy, delete etc. from within Lightroom. This will always keep your organizational systems intact… including Collections and Develop settings.
2. Think about the physical location of folders on disk outside of how they appear in Lightroom. Ultimately, your goal should be to have your Lightroom catalog match what’s on disk at all times. If you have missing items there, resolve them.
Send me an email if you have any questions or problems. Good luck!
Get Photography tips, techniques and tutorials FREE to your inbox!
We respect your privacy and will never share your details with anyone.